Friday, March 18, 2011

Far North Queensland Place names mo - my

This is a project I completed  in 2000, covering the origin of place names for Far North Queensland including the Torres Strait and Cairns


Moa Lane
Thursday Island, Torres Strait. Moa is the Island name for Banks Island, home to Kubin Village, St. Pauls Village as well as Poid Village before World War II
Coordinates:
10 35 S 142 13 E


Moffat Street
Cairns. Cairns North. Named after John Moffat, 1841-1918, a mining magnate
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 51
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 68
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Moffat Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1938 for mining pioneer John Moffat, 1841-1918
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 68
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Moffat Street
Herberton. Named after mining magnate John Moffat, 1841-1918
Coordinates:
17 23 S 145 23 E


Moller Crescent
Gordonvale. Named after Clas and Catarina Moller, who were large-scale cane farmers and property owners in the Gordonvale to Fishery Falls area in the late 19th century
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 51


Moller's Flats
Babinda. On Behana Creek. Named after Claus Moller (1845-1904), who owned the land.
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Historical Society Bulletin no. 91, September 1986


Moller Street
Gordonvale. Named after Claus Moller & his wife Caterina, who before the turn of the century were major owners & developers of cane growing lands in the Gordonvale-Fishery Falls area
Source:
Hesp, A. J. Origin of Street Names In Gordonvale. Mulgrave Shire Historical Society Bulletin no. 1, December 1977
Coordinates:
17 6 S 145 47 E


Molloy Close
Cairns. Smithfield Heights. Named after Mount Molloy, a mountain & town on the Atherton Tableland
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Molloy Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1962 for Patrick Molly, teamster & grazier. Mt. Molloy is named for him
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 68
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Mona Mona
Atherton Tableland. Aboriginal Seventh day Adventist Mission, established in 1913. Apparently refers to Flaggy Creek, on which the Mission was situated; its meaning being crooked neck. It is claimed that this creek was wrongly named as the Mona Mona Creek really belonged to an area near Rainy Mountain
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 91, October 1966


Mona Rock
Torres Strait. Endeavour Channel. Named after the barque Mona, commanded by Captain P. Sayers, which hit this reef on 20 August 1846
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 169


Mona Street
Cairns. Whitfield. Named after Mona Polentz
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 51
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Monk Street
Cairns. Manunda. Named after George William Monk. who was the principal surveyor on the Cairns-Kuranda Railway line from June 1883. He was also present at the first recorded gathering of Freemasons in Cairns
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 51
Collinson, J. Early Days of Cairns, 1939, p. 109
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Montalbion
North-west of Irvinebank. The town was originally named Mount Albion, after the mountain behind the town. It is the ancient name for the British Isles. It was surveyed on 24 February 1887 by Surveyor E.B. Rankin & existed to work the silver & lead mines on Mount Albion. Silver was discovered here by the Prentice brothers in the early 1880s. The town died in about 1905, with the school closing in 1906. The creek was known as Chinaman's Creek after the Chinese market gardeners there & the swimming holes were known as Chinaman's Garden, Barnes', Byrnes', The Current, The Big Rock, Pasley's, The Old Dam, St Helena Waterhole & Foy's Waterhole. Foy's was named after a girl called Lily Foy, daughter of a baker, who accidently drowned here.
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 141
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 71, January 1965
Coordinates:
17 23 S 145 9 E


Moody's Crossing
See Picnic Crossing


Moody Street
Cairns. Manunda/Mooroobool. This street once lead to the cane farm of H. Moody and his estate and is named after him. Moody was an early settler
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 65, July 1964
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Moody Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1923 for Thomas Moody (born 1861), early Mareeba pioneer
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 69
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Moodys Creek
Cairns. Named after Bert Moody's father. Originally known as Moody Creek
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 53, July 1963
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Moolaridgi Park
Mareeba. Named about 1983 after the Moolaridgi Community Advancement Co-operative Society Ltd.
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 109
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Moonah Street
Cairns. Holloways Beach. Many street names in this suburb were named for a floral theme at the suggestion of Anne Edwards, a resident of the suburb from 1961 to the mid 1980s
Source:
Holmes, Robyn. Beach Homes Rose Up From Sand & Bush. Cairns Sun, 17 September 1997, p. 7
Coordinates:
16 50 S 145 44 E


Moongera Creek
Tully District (?). Aboriginal word for the scrub turkey
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 411


Moore Street
Cairns. Trinity Beach. Named after the original owners of the land
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Moorefield
Irvinebank District at Mount Babinda. Copper mine & camp known variously as Copper Hill, Copperfield & Moorefield, after Bill Moore, a mining boss at Montalbion
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 227


Mooroobool
Cairns. Suburb. Aboriginal word for curlew. Named after Mooroobool peak near the Copperlode Dam, west of Cairns
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 51
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Mopo
Cairns railway. Aboriginal term, meaning superb tree pigeon
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 97, April 1967


Moregatta
Atherton Tableland. Aboriginal term, level ground
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 97, April 1967


Morehead Cataracts
Mount Bellenden Ker. Named by Archibald Meston in June 1889, "To this series of splendid cascades I have given the name of the Morehead Cataracts a deserved compliment to the Chief Secretary & Premier of a Government possessing the honourable distinction of being the first to send out in any part of Australia a purely scientific expedition".. Boyd Dunlop Morehead (1843-1905) was the Post Master General from 1880-1883 & Premier of Queensland from 30 November 1888 - 12 August 1890
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 175, June 1974


Morehead River.
Cape York Peninsula. Named in 1883 by Bradford of the Cape York Telegraph for Boyd. D. Morehead. Boyd Dunlop Morehead (1843-1905) was the Post Master General from 1880-1883 & Premier of Queensland from 30 November 1888 - 12 August 1890
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 631 & 640


Moresby
Innisfail district south of Mourilyan. This town was named by Captain (later Admiral) John Moresby, who explored the area in 1872
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 411 and 185


Moresby Range
East of Innisfail. Named by Dalrymple after Captain John Moresby in 1873
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 411


Moresby Range National Park
East of Innisfail. Named after the Moresby Range which was named by Dalrymple after Captain John Moresby in 1873
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 411


Moresby River
Innisfail district south of Mourilyan. Named by Captain (later Admiral) John Moresby, who explored the area in 1871, after himself. The town of Moresby south west of Mourilyan and Port Moresby in PNG are also named after him.
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 411 and 185


Moresby Rock
Torres Strait, east of Saddle Island. Named after Captain John Moresby of the Basilisk, who first reported this rock in February 1871
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 354


Moresby Street
Cairns. Trinity Beach. Streets in this subdivision are named for a Papua New Guinea theme. Port Moresby is the capital of PNG & is named after Captain John Moresby of the Basilisk
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Moretto Street
Babinda. named after Ivy Moretto, wife of Valero Moretto, who with Joyce Mary Jago, wife of George Stanley Jago, bought the land and developed it into dwelling allotments
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Historical Society Bulletin October 1978
Coordinates:
17 20 S 145 55 E


Morey Creek
Cairns District. Named by R. Chisholm & party in the 1870s, possibly after Edmund Morey, the first Police Magistrate in Cairns in 1877 and who transferred to Port Douglas in February 1878
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 220, March 1978
Collinson, J. Early Days of Cairns, 1939, p. 51


Morgan Road
Gordonvale. Probably named after Lands Ranger P.W. Morgan, who marked of a street and issued business licences at Faningtown (later Goldsborough) in May 1880 after gold was discovered on the Mulgrave.
Source:
Collinson, J. Early Days of Cairns, 1939, p. 117
Coordinates:
17 6 S 145 47 E


Morgan Street
Cairns. Yorkeys Knob. Named after Bill Morgan, Manager of Cairns Timber Ltd. He was born in 1889
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Listing 1987
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Moriarty Street
Innisfail. Named after Commissioner for Railways, Moriarty
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 19
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Mornington Island
Named by Matthew Flinders of the Investigator on 7 December 1802 after the Earl of Mornington, the then Governor General of India. Marquis Richard Colley Wellesley 1760-1842 eldest son of the first earl of Mornington, brother of the famous duke of Wellington, born 20 June 1760, he was sent to Eton and to Christ Church, Oxford. At his father's death, he became earl of Mornington, taking his seat in the Irish House of Peers. In 1784, he entered the English House of Commons as member for Beeralston. Soon afterwards he was appointed a lord of the treasury by Pitt. In 1793 he became a member of the board of control over Indian Affairs, whence he gained the acquaintance with Oriental affairs which made his rule over India so effective from the moment when in 1797, he accepted the office of governor-general. As per Flinder's diary entry, "No doubt remained that the land of Cape Van Diemen was an island; for it had been circumnavigated. Had not the name of Van Diemen so often occurred in Terra Australis, as to make confusion, I should have extended it from the cape to the whole island; but such being the case, I have taken this opportunity of indulging my gratitude to a nobleman of high character and consideration; who, when governor-general of British India, humanely used his efforts to relieve me from an imprisonment which was super-added to a shipwreck in the sequel of the voyage. This island is therefore distinguished by the name of Isle Mornington."
Source:
Gill, J.C.H. The Missing Coast, 1988, p. 134
http://mpec.sc.mahidol.ac.th/discaust/NORTH2.HTM
Coordinates:
16 36 S 139 21 E


Mornington Street
Cairns. Kewarra Beach. Streets are named after Australian beaches in this sub-division. Mornington is a beach on the outskirts of Melbourne
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Morobe Close
Cairns. Trinity Beach. Streets in this subdivision are named for a Papua New Guinea theme. Morobe is a town in PNG
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Morong Street
Kuranda. Named by Surveyor G.D Edwards. He had lived among an Aboriginal group in the South Burnett district in Queensland & apparently named this street after an Aboriginal word from that language
Source:
Edwards, Ron. An Explorers Guide to Kuranda. Kuranda: Rams Skull Press, 1994, p. 7
Coordinates:
16 49 S 145 38 E


Morris Street
Cairns. Freshwater. Named after Frank P. Morris, the city council engineer for 26 years
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Listing 1987
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Morrison Street
Cairns. Portsmith. Possibly named after John Morrison, who died in Cairns on 9 September 1899, aged 66 years
Source:
Grimwade, Gordon. McLeod Street Pioneer Cemetery. Conservation Proposals, 1988
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Morrow Street
Mareeba. Named circa 1952 for William R. Morrow, railwayman who came to Mareeba in 1897/98 Mareeba pioneer
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 69
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E


Morton Street
Kuranda. Named after the Morton family. Charlie Morton was a logger in the 1920s in the area
Source:
Humston, S. Kuranda: The Village in the Rainforest 1888-1988, p. 83
Coordinates:
16 49 S 145 38 E


Mossman
Named after the Mossman River which was named by Dalrymple on 6 December 1873. Named after Hugh Mosman, one of the discoverers of Charters Towers. Dalrymple noted that; "I named this river the Mossman River, after Mossman, an explorer and mining man, member of a very prominent mining family." Although the family name was Mosman it was frequently spelt Mossman as well. Mossman was first called Hartsville, after Dan Hart, who settled in the area around 1884. It was then known as Mossman River & by 1897 the town was known as Mossman. The Kuku Yalanji name is Wikal
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 35-36
Kerr, John. Northern Outpost, 1979, p. 13
Pike, Glenville. The Wilderness Coast, 1987, p. 53-54
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 63, May 1964
Jakalbaku
Coordinates:
16 28 S 145 23 E


Mossman River
See Mossman


Moule Close
Cairns. Whitfield. Named after the sub-divider and Cairns Alderman Fred Moule, circa 1983. A prominent businessman, he died on 25 December 1988. The Fred Moule Pavilion at the Cairns showground is named after him
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 53
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Mound Islet
See Purtaboi


Mount Abbott
See Turkey Hill


Mount Adolphus Island
Torres Strait. Originally called Mountainous Island by Captain William Bligh in 1789. The local name is Muri Island
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 106
Coordinates:
10 38 S 142 38 E


Mount Albion
North-west of Irvinebank. Named from the ancient name for the British Isles. See also the entry under Montalbion
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 141


Mount Alma
Cardwell district. 856 metres (2 810 feet) high. Named after Alma Clark-Kennedy, wife of A. E. Clark-Kennedy, who was a miner, preacher and the original selector of the Carruchan property
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 407


Mount Amos
Bloomfield District. 871 metres (2 857 feet) high. Named after the discoverer of tin here, Charles Amos. As well as the mountain it was also a mining camp
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 233
Coordinates:
15 42 S 145 19 E


Mount Annie
Innisfail district. Southern end of the Seymour Range. 328 metres (1 076 feet) high. Named by George Dalrymple in October 1873 after Annie Johnstone, the daughter of Sub-Inspector Robert Arthur Johnstone. The Sub-Inspector was a member of his expedition
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 407


Mount Arthur
Innisfail district. Southern summit of the Graham Range. 498 metres (1 633 feet) high. Named by George Dalrymple in October 1873 after Arthur Johnstone, the son of Sub-Inspector Robert Arthur Johnstone. The Sub-Inspector was a member of his expedition.
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 407


Mount Arthur Scott
Cardwell district, adjacent to Dalrymple's Gap. Named by Dalrymple in 1864 after Arthur Jervoise Scott, one of the founders of the Valley of Lagoons Station
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 407


Mount Augustus
Torres Strait. Mountain on Moa (Banks) Island, behind St Pauls Village. Named by Captain William Bligh on 16 September 1792
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 115
Coordinates:
10 09 S 142 17 E


Mount Aunt
Atherton Tableland. Named by John Atherton, Mareeba pioneer
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 9, July 1959


Mount Bartle Frere
North of Innisfail. Highest mountain in Queensland. The Bartle Frere South Peak is 1 611 metres (5 287 feet) high & the Bartle Frere North Peak is 1 524 metres (5 001 feet) high. Named in 1873 by George Dalrymple after Sir Henry Bartle Frere (1815-1884), Governor of Bombay from 1862-1867 and who was in 1873 the president of the Royal Geographical Society. According to Archibald Meston the Aboriginal name was Chooreechillum.
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 407
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 24
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 175, June 1974
Coordinates:
17 24 S 145 50 E


Mount Beaufort
North of Port Douglas. 235 metres (772 feet) high. Named by George Dalrymple in October 1873
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 30


Mount Bellenden Ker
See Bellenden Ker Ranges


Mount Bowen
Hinchinbrook Island. 1 142 metres (3 747 feet) high. Named after Governor Sir George Ferguson Bowen by Captain George H. Richards of H.M.S Hecate in 1863. Bowen was Queensland's first Governor from December 1859 to July 1868.
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 407
Coordinates:
18 21 S 146 16 E


Mount Bremer
Tip of Cape York. 123 metres (405 feet) high. Named for Captain Sir Gordon Bremer who with a party of Royal Marines climbed the mountain on 20 October 1838
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 129


Mount Buchan
See Buchan Point


Mount Burnett
Hinchinbrook Island. 652 metres (2 140 feet) high. Named by Captain George H. Richards of the Hecate in 1863 after Commodore Burnett of the Pioneer who traversed the area in 1862.
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 408
Coordinates:
18 23 S 146 17 E


Mount Byers
Mount Garnet District. Named by James Venture Mulligan in 1881 after Johnny J Byers, a Hodgkinson goldfield pioneer
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 122


Mount Carbine
Apparently named in about 1895 after a meeting in the district, by a miner, Carrol Walsh, after the horse Carbine in the 1890 Melbourne Cup
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 246
Rudd, Richard. The Veins of Carbine Hill, 1978, p. 23
Coordinates:
16 32 S 145 08 E


Mount Carter
Cape York Peninsula. Named in 1885 by John T. Embley after C.C. Carter, Officer in Charge of the Pastoral Occupation Branch of the Lands Department
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 646


Mount Cook
Cooktown. 429 metres (1 407 feet) high. Named by Alan Cunningham, a member of Phillip Parker King Expedition, who climbed the mountain on 2 August 1820, after Captain James Cook, who was here in June-August 1770. Cook had previously named it Gore's Mount, after his third Lieutenant John Gore. The Aboriginal name for the mountain is Coongoon
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Queen of the North, 1979, p. 18
Horden, Marsden. King of the Australian Coast, 1997, p. 174
Coordinates:
15 26 S 145 00 E


Mount Cordelia
Ingham District. Named after the ship HMS Cordelia
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 144
Coordinates:
19 00 S 146 41 E


Mount Cornwallis
Torres Strait. Named by Captain William Bligh on 11 September 1792. Known by its Island name, Dauan, although the mountain on the Island is still known as Mount Cornwallis, which is 242 metres (795 feet) high. the local name for the mountain is Simakal Pad
Source:
Cooktown Shire Library name list
Teske, Travis. Dauan: Island of the Torres Strait, 198-, p. 12
Coordinates:
9 25 S 142 32 E


Mount Creagh
Cardwell district. 817 metres (2 680 feet) high. Named after W. Creagh of Cardwell
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 408


Mount Croll
Cape York Peninsula, Coen district. Named on 14 September 1879 by Robert Logan Jack after a colleague of his, Dr. James Croll
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 504


Mount Daintree
Mount Mulligan District. Named by William Hann in 1872 after geologist Richard Daintree (1832-1878). Born in England, Richard Daintree moved to Australia in order to seek a warmer climate. He found employment in the early 1850s as a geologist with the Victorian Geological Survey. During this time he took up photography and was one of the first scientists to employ this new technology in fieldwork. Daintree moved to Queensland in 1864 having tired of the routine work involved in the Survey. After a pastoral venture, he persuaded the Queensland Government to establish their own Geological Survey. He became the first geological surveyor of North Queensland where he located rich mineral deposits and stimulated the opening up of the Cape River, Gilbert and Etheridge goldfields. He prepared a collection of geological specimens for the London Exhibition of 1871 but the ship carrying them was wrecked off the coast of South Africa! Daintree and his family escaped unharmed ­ as did his collection of photographs which provided a successful exhibition and drew immigrants to Queensland. The show was so successful it led to Daintree being appointed Queensland Agent-General in London, a post he held vigorously for four years. When his health began to fail he moved to France for the winter but died in Britain in 1878 at the age of 46.
Source:
In, Fox, Matt J. The History of Queensland: Its people & Industries, 1923, p. 178


Mount Diamantina
Cardwell district. 960 metres (3 150 feet) high. Named after Lady Bowen by Commander George Strong Nares of HMS Salamander in 1866
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 408 and 103


Mount Dobson
Cape York Peninsula, Janet Range, south of the Pascoe River. 555 metres (1 820 feet) high. Named by the officers of the surveying ships Paluma & Dart, 1890-1898.
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 225


Mount Douglas
Mission Beach district. Southern end of the Walter Hill Range. 342 metres (1 122 feet) high. Named after selector Douglas McBride
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 409


Mount Dug
North of Cairns. Apparently named by Dalrymple in 1873


Mount Edgar
Tully district. Named after selector Edgar Dowse Collins
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 409


Mount Edna
North east of Tully. Named by Surveyor Harding after Edna Rose around 1920
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 409


Mount Father Clancy
South East of Milla Milla. Named circa 1918 after the Rev. Father Michael Clancy, Catholic priest in Innisfail
Source:
Jones, Dorothy. Hurricane Lamps & Blue Umbrellas, p. 388


Mount Formartine
See MacAlister Range


Mount Fraser
North-west of Mount Molloy. Named by John Fraser for himself. He was a pioneer cattleman in the district in the 1870s & owned the Brooklyn Station from 1875. he was born on 1 August 1854
Source:
Rudd, Richard. The Veins of Carbine Hill, 1978, p. 19
Collinson, J. More About Cairns. 2. Echoes of the Past, 1945, p. 99


Mount Freeman
Atherton Tableland, Glen Ruth Station. Named after Peter Freeman who was hung here by Aborigines because of his association with an Aboriginal woman
Source:
Toohey, Edwina. Tumbling Waters, 1991, p. 16


Mount Garioch
See MacAlister Range


Mount Garnet
Named after garnets, a precious stone. Copper was discovered here in September 1882 by Albert Vollenwider. The town boomed from 1896
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 220
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 53
Coordinates:
17 41 S 145 7 E


Mount Gibbs
Mount Garnet District. Named by James Venture Mulligan in 1881 after James Gibbs, a member of his party
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 122


Mount Graham
See Graham Range (East of Babinda)


Mount Graham
South west of Cardwell. Originally named Mount Graeme by Dalrymple in 1863, after his mother, whose maiden name was Graeme. Now known as Mount Graham
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 409


Mount Hann
Named after William Hann, who explored the area in August 1872
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 386


Mount Harold
Mount Bellenden Ker. Named by Archibald Meston on 29 June 1889 after his son Harold, who had accompanied him on this expedition
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 177, August 1974


Mount Harris
South west of Port Douglas. 1 055 metres (3 544 feet) high. Originally known as Harris Peak. Named by Dalrymple on 23 October 1873 after the Hon. George Harris (1831-1891), member of the Queensland Legislative Council from 1860-1876. It is also known as Black Mountain
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 29
Waterson, D.B. A Biographical Register of the Queensland Parliament, 1972, p. 81


Mount Henry
North west of Tully. Named in 1925 after Brice Henry, a Tully district landholder, on Theodore's trip to the Tully Falls
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 409


Mount Hosie
Cardwell district. Named after a member of a survey party
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 410


Mount Hunchback
See Mount Mackay


Mount Jackson
Mount Garnet District. Named by James Venture Mulligan in 1881 after Jackson, a Hodgkinson goldfield pioneer
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 122


Mount Jones
South-west of Tully. 1 005 metres (3 297 feet) high. Named after Arnold W. Jones
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 410


Mount Julia
Mourilyan. Named in October 1873 by George Dalrymple
Source:
Jones, Dorothy. Hurricane Lamps & Blue Umbrellas, p. 388
Coordinates:
17 36 S 146 7 E


Mount Klaatsch
South west of Herberton. Named after the German anthropologist, Professor H. Klaatsch, who was in the district from 1904-1906


Mount Leach
North of Ingham. Named by Captain Phillip Parker King in 1819
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 410


Mount Leafe
Cardwell district. Named after Roger Beckwith Leafe, who arrived in the Cardwell area in July 1864 and was the first Police Magistrate in Cardwell.
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 410 and p. 84


Mount Lewsell
Cape York Peninsula, Rossville District, south of Cooktown. Named for a pioneer who prospected here in 1886
Source:
Cooktown Shire Library name list
Coordinates:
15 46 S 145 14 E


Mount Lilley
Palmer River District. Named after Sir Charles Lilley (27/5/1830-20/8/1897) a member of the first Queensland Parliament, by William Hann in 1872. He was in Parliament from 1 May 1860 - 16 February 1894 for Fortitude Valley & then for North Brisbane until 1893. He held various cabinet posts including Attorney-General & was a barrister by profession
Source:
Waterson, D.E. A Biographical Register of the Queensland Parliament, 1860-1929, 1972, p. 107
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 227, October 1978


Mount MacDevitt
Named after Edward O'Donnell (1843-1898) a member for Kennedy of the Queensland Parliament (1870-1873) by William Hann in 1872
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 228, November 1978
Waterson, D.B. A Biographical Register of the Queensland Parliament, 1972, p. 114


Mount Mackay
West of Tully. 722 metres (2 369 feet) high. Originally called Mount Hunchback a descriptive term. Named circa 1870 after a 1 500 acre selection by Francis John W. Beardmore in the area which he called Mackay
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 410 and 131


Mount Mar
See MacAlister Range


Mount Maria
Innisfail District. Southern summit of the Seymour Range. 293 metres (960 feet) high. Named in October 1873 by George Dalrymple after the wife of Robert Arthur Johnstone, Sub-Inspector of the Native Police. The Sub-Inspector was a member of his expedition.
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 47


Mount Marsey
Tully district. Named after Edgar Dowse Collin's daughter. Collins owned land in the lower Tully area in the 1920s.
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 411


Mount Massie
South of Gordonvale. 1 269 metres (4 162 feet) high. Probably named by Dalrymple in 1873
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 31


Mount McDevitt
Named by William Hann on 8 November 1872
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 409


Mount McGann
North of Mareeba. Originally known as Mount Megan
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 12


Mount McLeod
Hann Tableland. Named after prospector William McLeod, who was in the area in 1875/1876
Source:
Eacham Historical Society Bulletin no 58, June 1981


Mount Milman
Cooktown. 371 metres (1 216 feet) high. Probably named for Hugh Miles Milman, Cooktown Police Magistrate, 1886-1891 & later Government Resident on Thursday Island


Mount Milman Drive
Cairns. Smithfield. Streets in the subdivision are named for mountains in the Cairns District. Mount Milman was probably named for Hugh Miles Milman, Cooktown Police Magistrate, 1886-1891 & later Government Resident on Thursday Island


Mount Molloy.
Named after Patrick Molloy, an Irish carrier and prospector who discovered copper deposits in the area in 1885. The town was surveyed in April 1915
Source:
Reid, Robert. Tidy winner fights back. Sunday Mail. 24 August 1997, p. 27
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 68
Lees, W. The Copper Mines and Mineral Fields of Queensland, part 2, p. 42
Coordinates:
16 40 S 145 19 E


Mount Moran
Mount Garnet District. Named by James Venture Mulligan in 1881 after Jack Moran, a member of his party
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 122


Mount Mulgrave
Mount Mulligan District. Named by William Hann in 1872
Source:
In, Fox, Matt J. The History of Queensland: Its people & Industries, 1923, p. 178


Mount Mulligan
Named in 1874 after explorer and prospector James Venture Mulligan who discovered the mountain in 1874. The mountain was known by the Kuku Djungan as Woothakata (now known as Ngarrabullgan). William Hann named the mountain Mt. Lilley (after a one time Queensland Premier & afterwards Chief Justice, C. Lilley), but this was changed to Mount Mulligan. The mountain was named first & the township then named after the mountain. Originally Mount Mulligan was called Mulligan when the town was laid out on 5 August 1913 by Surveyor Rankin
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 45
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 117
Coordinates:
16 51 S 144 52 E


Mount Murray Prior
See Murray Prior's Peaks


Mount Myrtle
North-east of Tully. Named by Staff Surveyor Harding after his wife Myrtle circa 1918
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 411


Mount Nelson
Cape York Peninsula, Janet Range, south of the Pascoe River. Its two peaks are 459 & 473 metres high. Named by the officers of the surveying ships Paluma & Dart, 1890-1898, after a Premier of Queensland, Sir Hugh Nelson
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 225


Mount Newby
Named by William Hann in August 1872 after J. Cosmo Newberry, chemist to Selwyn's geological Survey of Victoria
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 390


Mount Olive
Cooktown District. Named for the Olive family, first residents. A.A.C. Olive was an auctioneer, commission agent & town clerk
Source:
Cooktown Shire Library name list


Mount Pershouse
West of Cardwell. 970 metres (3 183 feet) high. Named after William A. Pershouse, settler in the Cardwell district in the 1880s
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 411 and 234


Mount Peter
Edmonton District, 15 km west of Edmonton in the Isley Hills. Named after Peter Petersen. Born in Denmark, he came to Cairns in 1897.
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 455
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 301, March 1985


Mount Peter Botte
Cape Tribulation District. 1 057 metres (3 468 feet) high. Named by Captain Owen Stanley of the Rattlesnake in July 1848 after a similar looking mountain in Mauritius (Mt. Pieter Botte). The Kuku-Yalanji name for the mountain is Ngalba-Bulal
Source:
Cooktown Shire Library name list
Pike, Glenville. The Last Frontier, 1983, p. 54
Jakalbaku, 1988
Coordinates:
16 04 S 145 25 E


Mount Peter Goldfield
15 km west of Edmonton in the Isley Hills. Named after Peter Petersen. Born in Denmark, he came to Cairns in 1897. He was a cane farmer & prospector & on their property in May 1904 his son Henry made a discovered gold at what became the Mt. Peter Gold field behind Edmonton. The Mt. Peter Mines was developed by Peter Petersen & two of his sons. The find leaked out in 1915 & the rush was on. By 1932 there were 40 people on the field.
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 455
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 301, March 1985
Coordinates:
17 1 S 145 44 E


Mount Peter Road
Cairns. Edmonton. Named after Peter Petersen. Born in Denmark, he came to Cairns in 1897. He was a cane farmer & in 1904 his son Henry discovered gold at what became the Mt. Peter Gold field behind Edmonton. The Mt. Peter gold field was named after Peter Petersen as well. This road leads to Mount Peter which is 15 km west of Edmonton in the Isley Hills. Part of the road was originally known as Sawmill Pocket Road & this was incorporated into the Mount Peter Road in 1963. Mount Peter Road was gazetted on 15 March 1941 & the southern portion of the road was surveyed in 1937
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 455
Mulgrave Shire Council. History of Roads & Works, 1936-1969, p. 22 & 25 & 41 & 311-313
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 301, March 1985
Coordinates:
17 1 S 145 45 E


Mount Pitt
Hinchinbrook Island. 720 metres (2 363 feet ) high. Named by Captain George H. Richards of the Hecate in 1863 after Edward Pitt, Private Secretary to Lord Bowen
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 411
Coordinates:
18 23 S 146 17 E


Mount Pompo
Near Mount Molloy. Named by Christie Palmerston after his Aboriginal companion, Pompo.
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 26


Mount Quincan
Atherton Tableland. Named by John Atherton, Mareeba pioneer
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 9, July 1959


Mount Reynolds
Mount Garnet District. Named by James Venture Mulligan in 1881 after James Reynolds, a Hodgkinson goldfield pioneer
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 122


Mount Ringrose
Herberton District. Named after Robert Colin Ringrose, Herberton solicitor, barrister, geologist & president of the Herberton Chamber of Commerce for many years. He died on 14 August 1914
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 160-161


Mount Romeo
Bloomfield District. Named after an Aboriginal man, Romeo, who discovered tin here along with William (Bill) Baird in January 1887. The tin field was also known as Mount Romeo
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 704
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 229
Coordinates:
15 50 S 145 15 E


Mount Saunders
Cooktown area. 285 metres (934 feet) high. Named for Captain Saunders, skipper of SS Leichardt which brought the first settlers to Cooktown on 25 October 1873
Source:
Cooktown Shire Library name list


Mount Sheridan
Cairns. 633 metres (2 078 feet) high. Named after Brinsley Guise Sheridan, Police Magistrate at Cardwell from 1870-1878, who was commissioned by the Queensland Government to select a site on Trinity Bay for the township of Cairns. He died in 1878 and is buried in the Cooktown cemetery. He was the descendent of the playwright Richard Brinsley Sheridan.
Source:
Establishment Trinity Bay: a collection of historical episodes. Cairns: Cairns historical Society, 1984, p. 22
Coordinates:
16 58 S 145 43 E


Mount Spurgeon
Mount Molloy District. Apparently the mountain & the Mount Spurgeon Tinfield were named after a prospector's dog of that name & not after a famous 19th century British evangelist, Baptist Minister Charles Haddon Spurgeon (1834-1892)
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 245
Coordinates:
16 26 S 145 11 E


Mount St. George
Named by explorer William Hann in 1972 after Etheridge Mining Commissioner Howard St. George
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 228, November 1978


Mount Stenhouse
Mount Garnet District. Named by James Venture Mulligan in 1881 after William Bruce Stenhouse, a member of his party
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 122


Mount Straloch
Hinchinbrook Island. 920 metres (3 020 feet) high. Named by Commander George Strong Nares of HMS Salamander in 1866
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 412
Coordinates:
18 23 S 146 17 E


Mount Sullivan
West of Cardwell. 945 metres (3 100 feet) high. Named after Sullivan who had a selection up Kennedy Creek
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 412


Mount Surprise
East of Georgetown. So named in 1864 by Ezra Firth because of the sound of the drays bumping over the basalt startled a group of Aborigines into the scrub on the mountain
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 6
Coordinates:
18 9 S 144 19 E


Mount Tam O'Shanter
East of Tully. 388 metres (1 272 feet) high. Named after the barque which conveyed the Kennedy Expedition North in 1848.
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 71


Mount Taylor
Palmer River District. Named by William Hann after his geologist Norman Taylor
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 416


Mount Teresa
Innisfail District. Named about 1896 by Christie Palmerston after Teresa Rooney, who he married
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 71


Mount Theodore
West of Tully. Named after Premier Theodore on the 1925 trip to the Tully Falls
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 412


Mount Tippett
Innisfail District. Named after W.H. Tippett who lived at the Grange on the North Johnstone and took mobs of bullocks from Bluff Downs to Stockton for A.W.D. White. After his droving days Tippett became a landowner
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 413


Mount Tozer
Cape York Peninsula, Tozer Range, south of the Pascoe River. 544 metres (1 781 feet) high. Named by the officers of the surveying ships Paluma & Dart, 1890-1898, after Sir Horace Tozer (1844-1916), who was a prominent parliamentarian during this period
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 225
Waterson, D.B. A Biographical Register of the Queensland Parliament, 1972, p. 182
Coordinates:
12 45 S 143 12 E


Mount Twiddler
Atherton Tableland. Named by John Atherton, Mareeba pioneer
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 5


Mount Tyson
Tully. 678 metres (2 223 feet) high. First ascended by James Tyson (1819-1898), his nephew, Hewitt and Isaac Henry, his niece's husband. Tyson remarked Tyson's Knob, referring to a rocky outcrop. Later it appeared on Surveyor's maps as Mt. Tyson. Originally known by its Aboriginal name, Mount Yabba Yabba. James Tyson was a wealthy investor in an abortive sugar venture in the Tully district, having purchased 20 000 acres of land that he intended to plant with sugar cane. He was later a Member of the Legislative Council, 1893-1898. He established & lived at Felton on the Darling Downs
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 413
Waterson, D.B. A Biographical Register of the Queensland Parliament, 1972, p. 184
Mackness, Constance. Clump Point & District, 1970, p. 58
Coordinates:
17 55 S 145 55 E


Mount Uncle
Atherton Tableland. Named by John Atherton, Mareeba pioneer
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 9, July 1959


Mount Walsh
Cape York Peninsula. Named by James Venture Mulligan on 12 December 1875 after John Walsh of Cooktown
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 461


Mount Whitfield
Cairns. 391 metres high. Named by Dalrymple in 1873 after Edwin Whitfield, a friend of Dalrymple and merchant in Cardwell.
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 77
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Mount Williams
West of Cairns. Named in honour of F.Y. Williams, Commissioner of Crown lands at Cardwell, by George Dalrymple in October 1873
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 30
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 41 E


Mourilyan Harbour
Innisfail district. Named after Lieutenant Mourilyan, second in charge of the Basilisk, by Captain Moresby who together discovered the harbour in 1871 when on board the Basilisk. Known on maps as Shoalhaven before 1871. The township may also have been known locally in the late 19th century as Saltwater
Source:
Doherty, W. J. Fragments of North Queensland History. Cummins and Campbell's Magazine, February 1933, p. 33
Jones, Dorothy. Hurricane Lamps and Blue Umbrellas, p. 14
Eacham Historical Society Bulletin no 124, October 1987
Coordinates:
17 36 S 146 7 E


Mourilyan Reef
Torres Strait, south of Saddle Island. Named by Captain John Moresby of the Basilisk, after Lieutenant Mourilyan, a member of the expedition. It was chartered & surveyed in February 1871
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 354


Mourilyan Road
Innisfail. Named after Lieutenant Mourilyan, second in charge of the 1872 Moresby expedition
Source:
Robertson, Val and Alf Martinuzzi. Street names of Innisfail. Innisfail and District Historical Society vol 12, 1996, p. 20
Coordinates:
17 32 S 146 2 E


Mowbray
West of Herberton. Tin lodes were discovered here in 1881. Named after William Matthew Mowbray, Mining Commissioner at Herberton. The township of Mowbray, originally known as the Seven Mile, near Port Douglas, was probably named after the same person.
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 160
Coordinates:
17 31 S 145 12 E


Mowbray River
South of Port Douglas. Named after mining warden William Matthew Mowbray, warden at Thornborough from 1 September 1876, who also laid out the town of Herberton. Probably named circa 1877. The Kuku Yalanji name is Mulurr. The river was discovered in 1876 by John Doyle. Apparently the Mowbray River was named by Christie Palmerston
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 109, May 1968
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 53
Jakalbaku, 1988


Mowbray Street
Port Douglas. Probably named after the Mowbray River, which was named after mining warden William Matthew Mowbray, first warden at Thornborough, who also laid out the town of Herberton.
Coordinates:
16 29 S 145 28 E


Mrs. Watson's Beach
Lizard Island. Named after Mrs Mary Beatrice Watson who lived here before being attacked by Aborigines in 1881. Forced to flee the Island with her infant son Ferrier & her second Chinese gardener in an iron bathtub, they died of thirst a few days later at no. 4 Howick Island
Coordinates:
14 30 S 144 58 E


MT ...
See Mount ...


Muir Street
Gordonvale. Named after Matthew Muir, Mill engineer
Source:
Hesp, A. J. Origin of Street Names In Gordonvale. Mulgrave Shire Historical Society Bulletin no. 1, December 1977
Coordinates:
17 6 S 145 47 E


Muir Street
Cairns. Bungalow. Named after the Land Commissioner
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Listing 1987
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Muldiva
South of Chillagoe. Silver lead was discovered here by John Moffat's prospecting party of Samuel Delaney, Charles Garbutt, Robert O. Hull, John James, Tony Linedale & David Mackay in 1888 or 1889. With the 1893 Bank Crash the fortunes of the township declined. Following the revival in silver prices Muldiva was briefly known as Sterlington from the turn of the century until 1901, after the precious metal mined here.
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 208
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 196
Coordinates:
17 21 S 144 34 E


Mulgrave Island
Torres Strait. Named by Captain William Bligh on 16 September 1792, who called it Mulgrave's Island. Now known by its local name as Badu Island
Source:
Jack, Robert Logan. Northmost Australia, 1921, p. 115
Coordinates:
10 07 S 142 09 E


Mulgrave River
South of Cairns. Named by Dalrymple in 1873 after the Earl of Mulgrave, this being the second title of the Marquis of Normanby, the then Governor of Queensland, (Governor from 1871-1875). The name for the Mulgrave Shire was taken from the Mulgrave River. The Yidinji name for the Mulgrave River is Mullinburra.
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 31
Bellenden Ker State School. Celebrating its Diamond Jubilee, 1982, p. 3
Cairns Post 30 January 1993, p. 27


Mulgrave Road
Cairns. Originally called the Hop Wah Road, meaning "good luck". Also known as the Old Road. The road (track) was built between 1876 and 1879, past the Chinese market gardens at the Three Mile to the Hop Wah (Hap Wah) Estate where the first sugar mill in the district, the Hop Wah Mill, was established by Andrew Leon in 1880. As well as sugar, rice was also grown and it was sited roughly where the Balaclava School is now. The opening of the Hambledon Estate in 1881 also led to increased demand for a decent road to the south of the town, although the creeks were only bridged after 1887. The Plantation closed down in 1886 and the name gradually lost its significance. Now called the Mulgrave Road because it runs to the Mulgrave River and the Mulgrave District. The Mulgrave River was named in 1873 by Dalrymple after Lord Normanby, who bore the title of the Earl of Mulgrave
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 34 and 54
Cairns Historical Society. Bulletin no. 285, September 1983
Collinson, J. More About Cairns. 2. Echoes of the Past, 1945, p. 27 & 28
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Mulgrave Shire
Cairns district. Named after the Mulgrave River which was named by Dalrymple in 1873 after the Earl of Mulgrave, this being one of the titles of Lord Normanby. The Shire came into existence out of the Cairns Shire on 16 November 1940 & in 1995 it was combined back into the Cairns Shire
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 31


Muller Creek
Cardwell district. Possibly named after Muller, a member of Dalrymple's 1864 expedition party
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 411


Mulligan Highway
Mareeba to Cooktown. Named after explorer & prospector James Venture Mulligan. Named the Mulligan Highway in 1949 by Main Roads Commissioner D.A. Crawford after he inspected the route. The name is no longer in use
Source:
Pike, Glenville. The Wilderness Coast, 1987, p. 109-110


Mulligan Street
Cairns. Manoora. Named after James Venture Mulligan, explorer and prospector, who first reported finding gold in the Palmer River district in the 1870s
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 54
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Mulligan Street
Thornborough. Named after explorer & prospector James Venture Mulligan who discovered the Hodgkinson Gold Field, of which Thornborough was the principal town
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 13
Coordinates:
16 56 S 145 00 E


Mullins Road
Millaa Millaa District. Named after Llewellyn Mullin & his family who farmed here after World War I
Source:
Eacham Historical Society Bulletin no 58, June 1981


Mullins Street
Cairns. Whitfield. Name suggested by the property owner, W. B. Collins. Mullins was his mother's maiden name
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 54
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Munding Road
Weipa. Aboriginal place name for Top Camp area near Napranum & name for a species of shellfish
Source:
Hibberd Library list
Coordinates:
12 40 S 141 57 E


Mundoo
Innisfail district, south of Innisfail. Aboriginal term, anglicised, Mundubara, a local tribe
Source:
Martinuzzi, A. L. Places and after whom they are named. Aboriginal names and their meanings. Innisfail and District Historical Society. Vol. 7, 1991, p. 13


Mungana
North-west of Chillagoe. Originally known as Girofla, which along with the Lady Jane were the original two mines. Mungana was surveyed on 26 June 1901
Source:
Pike, Glenville. Pioneers' Country, 1980, p. 194
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 225, August 1978
Coordinates:
17 6 S 144 23 E


Munro Reef
Great Barrier Reef. Probably named for the barque Munro which sailed this way in 1844
Source:
Nicholson, Ian. Via Torres Strait, 1996, p. 107


Munro's Creek
See Deeral


Munro's Hill
Mission Beach. Named after a Mr. Munro who resided on and worked his holding here
Source:
Mackness, Constance. Clump Point & District, 1970, p. 36
Coordinates:
17 35 S 146 06 E


Munro Street
Babinda. Main street in Babinda. Named after Miss Janet Taylor Munro, sister of William John Munro, Chairman of the Cairns Shire Council from 1897 until his death in 1912. The Munro family also gave to the Council the land on the bank of Babinda Creek east of the Bruce Highway and now known as Rotary Park. He is the Munro in Munro Martin Park
Source:
Mulgrave Shire Historical Society Bulletin, October 1978
Coordinates:
17 20 S 145 55 E


Munro Terrace
Cairns. Mooroobool. Named after William John Munro, a pioneer of the sugar industry, grazier, Alderman in 1894 and Chairman of the Cairns Shire Council from 1897 to his death on 26 March 1912, aged 47 and who is buried in the McLeod Street Cemetery. He was a butcher & owned the House on the Hill. With partners R and J Gordon he acquired large pastoral properties including Woodleigh, Gamboola, Highbury, Wrotham Park and Koolburra.
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 54
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Munroo Hill
Tully district. Named in circa 1882 after Colin Munro, a selector
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 411


Munroo Plains
West of Tully. Named 1882 after Colin Munro, a selector
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 411


Manunda
Cairns. Suburb. Named after MV Manunda, an Adelaide Steamship vessel
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Listing 1987
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Murchinson Street
Cairns. Whitfield. Named after W. H. Murchinson, Mayor of Cairns, 1949-1952
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 54
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Murdering Lagoons
Palmer River district. So named because this was where Hans Strau & his wife & daughter were killed by Aborigines in October 1874. Also known as Strau's Lagoon
Source:
Corfield, W.H. Reminiscences of Queensland, 1862-1899. Brisbane: A.H. Frater, 1921, p. 58


Murdering Point
See Kurrimine


Murdering Point Road
From Silkwood to Kurrimine. So named because at Kurrimine, originally called Murdering Point, Sub-Inspector Johnstone of the ship Liverpool found there the bodies of two men, apparently Matthew Taylor and E. Melson from the ship Riser in 1878. They had been killed by Aborigines.
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 208


Murphy Creek
Gulf of Carpentaria. Named by William Landsborough on 30 November 1861 after Sir Francis Murphy. William Landsborough explored much of Queensland and was rewarded by the Queensland Government with about 2000 acres of land on the Sunshine Coast which he named "Lamerough". Landsborough and John McDouall Stuart were first to cross the continent in 1862 arriving at their destination within a week of each other. Stuart travelled from Adelaide, while Landsborough journeyed with camel from Albert River in Queensland, but failed to record the arrival due to their great excitement . Public subscription urged these men to do exploration, specifically to search for the missing Burke and Wills. William Landsborough traversed the country many times from exploring from Mt.Nebo to Bowen Downs Station 1856-1859. William married Caroline Raine of Sydney just before he sailed for London to be presented to Queen Victoria in 1863. The title "Right Honourable William Landsborough" was bestowed on him in Brisbane in 1864. William was appointed in 1865 to Albert River in the Gulf as M.L.A. and Police Magistrate receiving $800 p.a. Landsborough became Crown Lands Commissioner. William Landsborough passed away on 16.3.1886 aged 61 years
Source:
Journal of Landsborough's Expedition From Carpentaria, In Search of Burke & Wills, 1862, p. 28


Murray Island
Torres Strait. Named by Captain Edward Edwards of the Pandora, who visited the Island in August 1790. The local name for the Island is Mer
Coordinates:
9 57 S 144 01 E


Murray Prior's Peaks
Yarrabah area, south west of Cairns. Named after Thomas Lodge Murray-Prior (1819-1892), who was then Postmaster-General for Queensland, by Dalrymple in 1873. These mountains are part of the Malbon Thompson Range and are also known as the Murray Range
Source:
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 25
Waterson, D.B. A Biographical Register of the Queensland Parliament, 1972, p. 135


Murray River
Named after Lieut. John Murray of the Native Mounted Police
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 411


Murray Street
Cairns. Manoora. Named after I. (Isaac?) Murray, the father of Mrs H.E. Moody whose husband owned the land before it was sub-divided
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 54
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Murrigal Siding
South of Tully. Named after the name of Freeman Lawrence's selection, Murrigal. It is said by some to be an Aboriginal word for black snake
Source:
Jones, D. Cardwell Shire Story. Brisbane: Jacaranda Press, 1961, p. 411 and 336


Murrin Murrin
Mareeba Shire. On the cassowary Creek & surveyed on 17 July 1888 by Ernest R. Warren. Murrin Murrin is an Aboriginal word, meaning friend
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 383
Coordinates:
16 30 S 145 23 E


Musgrave
See Flying Fish Point


Mutchilba
11 km east of Dimbulah. Aboriginal word, meaning big dead tree
Source:
Cairns Historical Society Bulletin no. 97, April 1967


Myka Court
Weipa. Named after a creek flowing into the Embley River
Source:
Hibberd Library list
Coordinates:
12 40 S 141 57 E


Mylchreest Street
Cairns. Manunda. Named after Captain John Mylchreest, the first pilot appointed to Cairns, gazetted from 18 October 1876. He arrived in Cairns on 6 October 1876 with a party of custom officials to open Cairns as a port. He passed away in 1888.
Source:
Brown, V. North Queensland Place Names Origins, 1993, p. 55
Coordinates:
16 55 S 145 46 E


Mylrea Street
Ingham. Named for an Hinchinbrook Shire Councillor, C. Mylrea
Source:
Hinchinbrook Shire Council List
Coordinates:
18 39 S 146 10 E


Myola
Kuranda district. The word was submitted by surveyor Thomas Behan who claimed he got it "from Captain Cook's book of travel in the South Sea Islands". It may mean break of day or morning star
Source:
Hooper, Colin. Angor to Zillmanton, 1993, p. 101
Jones, D. Trinity Phoenix: a History of Cairns. Cairns Post, 1976, p. 288


Myola Road
Kuranda. So named because this is the road from Kuranda to Myola
Coordinates:
16 49 S 145 38 E


Myrteza Drive
Mareeba. Named circa 1982 for the Myrteza family. Demir Myrteza arrived in Mareeba in 1933 & was a tobacco farmer
Source:
Thompson, Mary & Lorraine Townsend. Street Names of Mareeba: History Behind the Names. Mareeba: St Thomas School, 1994, p. 70
Coordinates:
17 00 S 145 26 E

No comments:

Post a Comment